Can a US travel agent charge a US resident/citizen British VAT on a Kenya trip including safari that the US travel agent booked through British tour operator? If so, can the US resident/citizen apply to get the VAT refunded? Thank you.
Quote 0 0
Firstly VAT is only charged by a VAT registered business with a UK VAT number.

Secondly VAT for services is generally based on where the recipient resides. Hence if you are not resident in UK and are based in USA, you should not be charged VAT. You can ask the agent to refund you/reissue the invoice as you can not claim it from the UK tax office. 

Hope this helps. 
Quote 0 0